INQUIRY QUESTION and BACKGROUND:
The central aim of my BUZZ research revolved around an examination of – if; when; how; and to what degree, research is embedded into the creative design process of 3 of my third year students in BA (Hons) Visual Communication at AIT.
Having initially spent some time investigating theories on design research methodologies I then began to look very specifically at my central question in the context of the three students' researching activities – within our studio culture at AIT and their research experiences in a broader context also.
THE BOOK:
My aim within this book is to provide a report on my research findings which highlight my perspectives of the students’ researching activities; which demonstrate my teaching as inquiry and which give a springboard for future transformative plans in my teaching practice growing out of my research outcomes and the deeper understanding I now have of theories in action.
One double page spread is dedicated to each individual involved in the process – the 3 case study students and myself. The concept behind the book grew out of a ‘design bible’, which I had mentioned previously and which came up again in a recent tutorial. I used this as my foundation stone in this final element of BUZZ, as a Bible is, in many ways, something that defines a modus operandi and also is, in its simplest definition, a story written down. So in essence I have 4 Gospels – according to James / Ita / Catherine / Steph. The visual style was triggered by Biblical illuminated manuscripts, but each spread is very much an attempt to visually capture the researching style of the individual student. I want to highlight that these are not interpretations of the students’ visual styles but my impressions of their researching modus operandi. The page under my own moniker is a melting pot of these interpretations, combined with a visual commentary of my own.
Hi Steph,
ReplyDeleteYour design, layout and typographic skills are so enticing.
Well done on this report. Interesting, informative and a pleasure to view. Audrey
Very interesting reading, and also very accessible. Issuu works very well here.
ReplyDeleteShelagh